Extra-Curriculars

Friday, August 26, 2011

Joy at Work Video Part 1: "Created to Work" Response

The Joy at Work video lecture "Created to Work" opened my eyes to the fact that there is a fissure among people and their views on work. Many people are operating with a vague, kind of peripheral understanding that God intends for them to have joy in their lives...and yes in their work, however, not many take the time to figure out how they can obtain that work. Many people do indeed resign themselves to the idea that because of the fall, there will be difficulty in our work. We forget that our salvation--our redemption applies to all aspects of our lives; including, our work. Hallelujah!

It is no surprise, however, that even when we know this promise of joy, we do not expect it. Why don't we expect it?! Lack of faith. We accept salvation as a free gift, and then we try to earn it...try to make ourselves worthy of it...We forget that we are already saved, we are already made new, we are equipped to do incredible things in the name of Jesus Christ...and yet, we either A) try to work in our own strength to make change, or B) don't realize or believe that WE have the power to move mountains through the Holy Spirit. We wallow. We sit. We wait...but we don't expect God to move! We don't believe that He will...or we give up believing when it doesn't happen in our timing or our way.

Joy at work suffers for the same reasons we don't see God do miracles in and through us. We've been redeemed! In His eyes, we are worthy. In His eyes, we are pure and holy. He loves us whether we feel worthy or not. We are not chained anymore to sin and it's oppressive nature. We are not subject to that death. We have life again in our souls! We have been set free from all forms of bondage. Including toil at work.

I appreciated how Dennis Bakke emphasized that we are co-creators with God...not just then, but now too! He hasn't stopped creating and He wants us to be a part of it. We are also co-redeemers with Christ--redeeming the world.

The definition given of stewardship is a simple yet clear illustration of what is expected of us as stewards. Sometimes I feel owned by the confines world, but that is so wrong! I am a steward of the world as a redeemed co-creater and co-redeemer. I have been given responsibility and I will not be successful at acting upon my responsibilities if I am owned by the things I've been placed over to tend. Ugh! Why do we remain in bondage when we can be walking in power and freedom through our Savior?

We don't own the world, but we are also not owned by the world. We are investors in the world. An investor is not dominated by his assets and liabilities, well...a successful investor wouldn't be. Actually, an investor is defined by his assets and liabilities. An investor in earthly things is storing up treasure on earth. His success is measured by what he has. While an investor in heavenly things, co-creator , is measured by his spiritual fruits--his storehouses are not of this world.

Ah...hence the investing on behalf of the true owner of creation. I have come to know this truth in a few circumstances. Any time I have dedicated/handed over projects, jobs, whatever work I have to Him, he has ALWAYS blessed it. There has always been great fruit and provision. It is so important to recognize that anything He gives us is not ours, but His and that we are His chosen stewards--whom he is ready and willing to bless abundantly--if we recognize His true ownership.

My absolute FAVORITE question asked in this video was: What if Adam & Eve didn't eat the apple and 60 billion people later...we're still in the Garden? There are cities, there are structures, but no sin. Would your work still be needed in that world? What would it look like?

Wow. What a perspective changing question?!! I love it! Would we still need doctors? Therapists? Addiction recovery counselors? Residential care homes and workers? What would social services look like? What about pastors? As a lover of the performing arts, I can still see a place for those giftings there! That's exciting. The thought makes that work seem a little more worthy in my mind than I had considered it before. Sure it was increasing as I used it to bless God's name and direct/teach/pour into young people...but anything that wasn't directly for God seemed a little less important--of lesser value. In the Garden of Eden though, I can see performing arts as just a celebration of life and the characteristics of creation--through reflection, commentary, and even just display of beauty. Without sin and pain--singing, acting, performing would take on purity--a sincere outpouring of the soul. No more vanity or pride to entangle the heart. We wouldn't have to worry about it being used to bolster the darkness--through the profession of lies and wickedness. Wow. Wow. WOW!

4 comments:

  1. I know...I know...part of the beauty of the arts is the drama...the expression of pain...the story it can tell of redemption...the healing it can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha!! THAT'S because those are it's redemptive attributes...which would be unnecessary in the Garden of Eden...and heaven... Redemption is beautiful...and that's a fact. Hmm...if there's no more need for redemption in heaven...does that mean...no more ROMANCE?! Redeeming love is at the core of every good romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Behold...the divine romance. An eternal honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete