Extra-Curriculars

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sick of Love? or Lovesick?

"I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, if ye find my beloved, that ye tell him, that I am sick of love." (Song of Solomon 5:8, KJV)

I am tickled by the way this verse comes across in the King James Version...our heroine sounds angst-ridden, frustrated with love, and on the edge of bitterness.

How often do we find ourselves declaring that we've HAD IT with love and relationships? Shoot! I know I have...I must have been a self-proclaimed non-denominational nun 2 or 3 times now...

However, upon perusal of other translations and more careful study...we discover that she's not throwing in the white towel of surrender or giving up hope in love. Our female friend is not fed up with love at all. She's sick because she's in love...she's lovesick. Separation from her beloved is so overwhelming that she's become ill. Poor chica!

Whether we know it or not, that is where we often find ourselves in our relationships with Christ--our beloved. That emptiness we feel, that desire for something to complete us, to comfort us, to hold us, to love us, to tell us we're okay--not just okay but unconditionally loved...that is a place in our hearts, our souls, that only Jesus can fill.

When you are sick, empty, broken, confused...desperate. BOOM! Turn to Jesus. Turn to the Word. Spend time with him in prayer. Go on a Starbucks date with him, or a walk along the beach, or in the woods...with HIM.

Charles Spurgeon comments: "Gracious souls are never perfectly at ease except they are in a state of nearness to Christ; for when they are away from him they lose their peace. The nearer to him, the nearer to the perfect calm of heaven; the nearer to him, the fuller the heart is, not only of peace, but of life, and vigour, and joy, for these all depend on constant intercourse with Jesus."

"Gracious souls are never perfectly at ease except they are in a state of nearness to Christ" - boy, is that the TRUTH!

"...for when they are away from him they lose their peace...the nearer to him, the fuller the heart is, not only of peace, but of life, and vigour, and joy..." - AAAAAH!! that is my experience exactly! It's so good! Love, love, love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment